Saturday, January 5, 2013

On the Road Again

Sherwood Community Church Old Railway Road

January 4, 2013

I parked my car in the parking lot of this church as the dawn started on the second day of my walk.My stick "Elliot" and I began the second day of our walk to the scene above. The road was flat and the air crisp but calm as I started down the road. I had driven the route so knew that at two miles was Bronco Billy's Arena and Tack and then a farm at each mile until I made the 10 miles to Interstate 80. It took at little over 3 hours to complete. The sun added some warmth as it came up over the second set of bluffs to the east I will need to climb today. As the morning progressed the wind also started to increase just enough to counter the sun. By the time I got done I was cold and my legs were stiff. I think maybe I learned that in winter 10 miles is maybe the target walk distance, at least until I get a bit more stamina.

Bronco Billy's


Once again though I really enjoyed just being out in the open air. The walk was different than the walk in the city on sidewalks or trails. I had to walk on the side of the road and one becomes immediately aware of traffic. I was able to walk against traffic so could see the cars and trucks coming. I gained a greater appreciation for all that bicyclers must deal with as they travel on our rural roads. I will slow down now and move over whenever I can for them as a result of this walk.

The number of views is significantly increasing each day, so thank you very much for getting the word out. I have received several pledges for additional miles, including one from a mom who pledged a dollar a day for the 57 days her quads were in the NICU. Pledges like that make it worth the effort and it makes my walk seem effortless in comparison. There has also been a request to create a Facebook page as I understand a lot of March of Dimes families use that form of social media. I will work with our March of Dimes staff to get it setup next week and then will link the blog and twitter to that page. I am still a novice at social media but I am learning what each type can and cannot do. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

End of the Walk
I ended the walk at the driveway of Jeff Links Beef Jerky Underwood Distribution Center. Notice on the right hand side is my bag of "Original Style" Jeff Links Beef Jerky. I carry that along with me to give a bit of a boost during the walk. I was surprised when I turned the corner off Old Railway Road and saw this. It is a small world.

Cheers,
Ron